[Dailydrool] Tuckerman could use a little drool

oakrydgebh at q.com oakrydgebh at q.com
Sun Aug 4 11:07:27 PDT 2013

My sweet boy Tucker had emergency eye surgery on Friday afternoon for an ulcerated  puncture wound in his left eye just below the edge of the iris in the outer corner of his eye . His third eyelid was sewn up  over his eye  to protect the wound  while it heals. He is on several of meds; t wo different eye ointments, two different drops and amoxicillin tablets . All meds  are being given every 12 hours for 10 days. The drops are put in a small opening in the flap over his eye and must be given separately with a minimum of 10 minutes between them followed by the two ointments with 10 minutes between them as well. He goes back to see the vet in 7 days to see how it's doing. When it heals suffi ciently the stitches will be removed. The vet wants him to wear an e-collar to prevent him from scratching at his eye. So far, I haven't had it on him because he hasn' t even acted like he wanted to scratch at his face . He's with  him me 24/7 and I will put the e-collar if he even thinks about scratching or trying to rub it . So far he' s just been very calm. Sleeping mostly . He lets me treat his eye with no fuss at all. He's such a good boy.

We think this happened as the result of his sister beating him up after he attempted to hump her while they were outside together. No other injuries and his eye didn't show any sign of a problem until a few days later and I took him to my vet immediately. This injury is almost the exact same thing that his sire NORman had when he was about 2 years old. It's being treated in exactly the same way as Norman' s eye was so I am optimistic it will be fine. NORman had just a tiny white dot on his eye after it had healed.

Momma is trying her best not to worry but you all know how that goe.

Jacqie Marvich and the Tuckerman at Oakrydge Bassets