[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore's surgeon is reassuring

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 06:32:49 PDT 2013

I called Elsinore's surgeon bright and early this morning, and he said the nerves controlling continence are located inside the pelvic region, and he was well away from that area, so she has no nerve damage. This is a huge relief. Remember that our late Jane Basset had two surgeries for three ruptured disks in locations that have nerves controlling continence, so I bring some baggage to this situation. He said the problem is probably being caused by a combination of the anesthesia still in her system leaving her in less control of herself and the pain meds and antibiotics making her poop softer than usual. Plus, if she's in some discomfort despite the meds (I'm also remembering that bassets tend toward stoicism in the face of much pain), she's probably not wanting to poop and is holding it in more than she should, resulting in "overflow." And if our Elsinore doesn't want to do something, then she simply won't. For instance, she doesn't want to take the last of her three morning pills (the Rimadyl), so she's said some truly ugly things to me and is now hunkered inside her crate where she can be inaccessible and keep an eye on me. It's really, really hard to be Elsinore right now. I've had better mornings myself.

Elizabeth