[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 12:05:39 PDT 2013

Hi Drool!
It's Katie from Colorado and Watson, checking in with an update - it's been
a while and we have updates for the drool community!

First, and most exciting, is the addition to the pack of Sherlock, a (now)
2 year old rescue that we adopted from All Ears Basset Sanctuary last
October. We finally bit the bullet and adopted, and it's like Sherlock was
always supposed to be with us. The transition was really difficult,
actually, and it took way longer than we thought it would for Sherlock and
Watson to become brudders, but they're best friends now. Sherlock is a
bouncy, happy, little guy (only 30 pounds!!) who brings so much joy and
adventure to our house. It took a while for Watson to warm up to Sherlock,
and for all of us to feel connected and like one family, and for about six
months we worried that we had made the wrong call bringing another hound
into the pack. However, with patience and persistence, Sherlock has found
his place in the pack, and finally Watson has decided to be friends, and we
are so relieved and happy that it all worked out in the end. We think the
transition period took so long due to our 2nd development that we
discovered in January:

Watson was diagnosed with Addison's disease after a scary weekend spent at
the Vetspital early this year when nobody could figure out what was wrong
with him - he was up all night with vomit, diarrhea, and a really bad case
of the whimpers. He also had a nasty UTI that kept coming around, so he was
peeing constantly too. When they finally discovered the Addison's after a
weekend of testing, Watson's recovery was miraculous, and such a relief. We
are still adjusting to the Addison's treatment, and Watson is having a hard
time because he is starving ALL THE TIME due to his hormone replacements,
but we are so happy to have our bouncy boy back. We have managed to keep
his weight under control at a slim 57lbs this last month, but it's been an
adjustment. It's all worth it in the end though - Watson turns 7 this
November, and it's amazing how much better he obviously feels. We also
started medicating his arthritis due to "in-congruent" elbows -- I just
thought in-congruent joints was a Basset thing! Apparently he was sore and
feeling down last fall and winter due to arthritis and onset of Addison's.
So with new meds and lots of care, we have our boy back.

Now that we have him fixed up and medicated, Watson and Sherlock are good
buddies who spend their days playing Clash of the Titans and Alligator
Mouth with spurts of the Basset 500 in between. At night we all snuggle up
on the couch for movies, and they go to bed in their rooms each night where
they keep each other company and we are sure they talk into the late hours
about the poodle girls next door, bunny rabbit hunting techniques, and
current events. Two bassets actually are better than 1 - we are so glad we
took the leap adopting Sherlock (who came with that name, by the way - it
was destiny!). He is the best, most adorable and perfect addition to our
pack.

As for the people in the pack, I'm still slaving away as an attorney, which
is why I have been so remiss in my drool updates, and dadperson is still a
librarian. Our lives still revolve around our hounds, and our families have
fallen as much in love with our "babies" as we are. Life, for the moment,
is good and calm.

Anyway, we always think of the Drool and send our own drool slinging when
needed. We send you all hellos, and hope you know that we lurk and read
your tales even though we aren't as vocal as we once were. On the hard
days, we know there are other people just as devoted to their hounds as we
are, and we know you're an email away if we need you.

Sending drool, as always, to all who need it,

Katie, Watson, and Sherlock