[Dailydrool] Giving Pills

dee- diane ellathebasset at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 04:24:30 PDT 2013

I have to give Ella a Chemo pill for 5 days on, 16 days off.   The pill cannot be taken with food, or at least as little as possible.   I stressed with this for several of her treatments.   Giving her the pill without anything and trying to push her into taking it was not the answer.   I had to wear gloves to give her this pill and the last thing I wanted was for it to break in her mouth.

It must be given on an empty stomach and no food so that it will go into the blood stream.

Finally the perfect answer.   Oscar Meyer Braunsweiger!!!   It is in a tube shape and is like a spread.   I put a tiny dab on the pill ( and I do mean a tiny dab)  I give it to her early in the morning (the only time a can guarantee an empty stomach on a basset) and just a little bit of light on.   She licks it right off my gloved finger.

So with tramadol, the secret is to use one had for the pill and one for the braunsweiger.   The hand with the braunsweiger is the one that you will feed her with.   She will not smell the pill that way.  So a nice size piece of the spread!   I told this to a friend who has to give her dog tramadol.   It is the new miracle pill in a pocket.   Be sure to give you dog a piece with no pill.

Diane and Ella Louise