[Dailydrool] speaking of baths

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 18 16:12:14 PDT 2013

yesterday I had a workshop all day, and the DH asked if I had any outside errands Id like him to run. wonderful. I asked him to stop by our vet's and have the boys' toenails trimmed. the vet techs are very good--they just march each hound to the back room, clip, and return two minutes later. Neither dog likes it much but neither throws a fit either. they know I am in the waiting room and the insult to their toes will only be momentary.

DH decided, however, to surprise me instead by giving the boys "a spa day" at Petco. Nails, shampoos, ears, blow dry. Oy. this for the two hounds who are so crate phobic that the vet keeps them in the goat pen if they need to stay any length of time. Plus Harley has separation anxiety, and Bo, of course, is mostly blind and moderately demented on top of a basically fearful nature.
I always bathe them and do their ears myself, but need the vet tech's skills on the nails. Our vet tries to get them in and out quickly if surgery is involved, because they raise such a din baying and howling that they disrupt everything. so in they all marched for a crated and tied day with weird machines that blow hot air and a staff of strangers in a glassed in, busy place.

Hmm, well. I just saw them at the end of the day after my workshop.  they both look fantastic--a much better job than I ever do; though both were still panting and looking wild-eyed. I asked the DH how it had gone. He said "Oh, fine...I tipped the groomer an extra $20 because when I drove up to Petco I could hear them baying and howling from the parking lot. I bet it was quite a day at Petco and that the groomer and staff earned every penny of their wages yesterday. and Bo slept much better last night.