[Dailydrool] Not Eating

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at comcast.net
Mon Aug 19 18:37:54 PDT 2013

I have had several vets tell me not to worry if they don't eat for a couple days--as long as they are drinking and acting normal. Their ancestors are wolves, who gorge themselves and then go awhile without eating. Sometimes some  of mine don't eat. And I do pretty much always try bribery with something good. If they eat the something good and still not dinner, I get pretty suspicious and let it go. My mom had a basset named Molly and she was determined she would eat three meals a day. The calls I got if Molly didn't eat--and the extent my mom went to to get her to eat is kind of hilarious in hindsight. Bottom line, I guess, is don't worry if bassets skip a meal or two when drinking, peeing, pooping, and otherwise acting fine.

Related to that, my Chester, who has numerous health issues and puked up his dinner Friday and hasn't eaten since, ate like a champ tonight. Diagnosed with pancreatitis on Saturday, and I was horrified he went so long without food. But he made up for it today, and seems to be kind of back to normal. He has allergies and breathing problems and lots of health issues. I think predis one helped bring on the pancreatitis, so if you have a dog on pred, watch for this, vigilantly. Thought we were losing him last year about Thanksgiving, so lots of meds and vet bills later, he is still hanging in there. He is the most stubborn dog I have ever had, so who knows?

Marilyn Briggs