[Dailydrool] einstein sits shiva

Nancy Cohen nursenancy4 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 04:26:38 PDT 2013

shiva is a period of mourning after a death of a close relative .  shiva in
hebrew is 7, and for seven days we mourn, and friends and relatives visit,
and comfort us, telling stories about the deceased and just visiting to
distract us from the real world .  i guess it is like a wake, but after the
burial.  my friend's mother passed and they were sitting shiva, and we went
to pay a call.  i asked if i could bring einstein because he is taking
prednisone and they live a distance away.  einstein sat in the room with
all the people happy to be noticed and being a pain the a$$ to no one.  one
man was talking about his own childhood and someone asked where he grew up.
 he replied, "hershey , pennsylvania".  einstein heard hershey and
immediately sat up and stared at the guy with his one eye.  he thought the
guy knew where his buddy hershey was, and he was listening for a clue.  it
was sad and kind of funny all at once. it demonstrated the intelligence of
the basset, and that dogs have emotions, .....love, sadness and hope. this
morning he didn't even want to get out of bed to go out to pee.  my heart
breaks for his loneliness.  nancy