[Dailydrool] Benadryl raises eye pressure

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Thu Dec 5 08:06:33 PST 2013

A couple of years ago we were having this discussion about allergies, and
Benadryl was mentioned as a good OTC to give itchy dogs, which it is.  I had
been using it for years on my bunch.  Anyway, another DD member wrote a
really good response, which I thought I kept but can't find.

This lady said to be careful about using Benadryl because it raises eye
pressure, and if a dog is prone to glaucoma or has glaucoma, Benadryl is not
something you want to give them.  She had a dog with glaucoma and her Vet
told her this.

I had a new bottle still in the box and immediately got it out and read the
box, and sure enough, she was correct.  Box said do not use if you have
glaucoma or high blood pressure.  So our brand new box is still sitting
unopened to this day, and we now use generic Claritin once a day.  The
Claritin helps but I can't really tell if it helps more than the Benadryl
did, and honestly I don't care, glaucoma scares the cr*p out of me.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net