[Dailydrool] Benedryl .... recommended by opthomologist

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 5 10:09:38 PST 2013

Hi all, it's Dale,

So, I wanted to chime in on the Benadryl thread.  And I want to state right out front that we all do what we believe is best for our furkids and I mean no disrespect to anyone when I state the following:  It is smart to avoid a drug when you have a disease which the drug can exacerbate.  It is NOT necessary to avoid beneficial medications because they have negative interactions with some diseases.  A case in point:

Snoopy has an ophthalmologist, an animal eye doctor.  He sees this doctor annually due to a condition he faces in his left eye which is easily treatable with mediation, which he takes 2x daily.  The condition has a very long name and I can't remember it.  LuLu has dry eye and that is easy to remember.  Snoopy has something different ..... and if he doesn't get his medication a crust forms over the eye which keeps the eye from opening, if you remove the crust a new one will form within a very short time (an hour or so).  However with the medication the crust does not form, there is no discharge at all and the eye looks just like the other one.  He has been on this medication for a couple of years.

Anyway, this year at Snoopy's annual eye exam the eye doctor noticed that Snoopy's eyelid was red and inflamed, he diagnosed allergies and prescribed BENADRYL.  He told my husband that Benadryl would keep Snoopy from scratching at, irritating, and potentially damaging the eye.

So, IMHO, and that of Snoopys ophthalmologist,  folks who are seeing their hounds get relief from Benadryl should continue to administer it.  Of course, as it says on the package, if your dog has glaucoma you should not use it, and as always if you have any doubt whatsoever you should first check with your dogs vet.

Best,
Dale