[Dailydrool] Goin' Crazy from lack of sleep part 1

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 15:17:41 PST 2013

 Dear Drooler,
    Sorry, I forgot the name of the lady who originated this post but after 24 hours of thought, I wanted to respond.  It is not normal for a basset hound to not sleep.  Bassets, even young ones, are all day nappers and good night time sleepers--like my Newfs and Saints too.  They may get you up at the crack of dawn to go out and get breakfast but after that they go right back to sleep.
    I have been in dogs about 20 years now. I will never forget the excellent advice a long time Newfs breeder gave me that has stood me in good stead.  NEVER WAKE A SLEEPIING PUPPY!!!!!!!  It is absolutely imperative that puppies be allowed down time with no stimulation or disturbance!  Constantly stimulating puppies and waking them from sound sleep creates nervous, anxious adults with poor sleeping patterns.
    Yes, puppies should be exercised, stimulated, and played with buy only for 30 minute intervals at most and then they must be allowed to calm down, rest, and sleep that is why crate training or a baby gated off area just for puppy is imperative.  It is especial important that the puppy be put in a calm quiet place to relax if you ever notice him/her getting too stimulated--growling too much, too aggressive in play, overheated, or just too rambunctious.  You are teaching the puppy to sooth its self and to calm down and control his/her emotions.  I am not saying not to hold your puppy and comfort it BUT don't make this a middle of the night pattern or make the puppy need to constantly have you comfort it or how will you sleep at night ? and what will the puppy do when you are not home?
    Sadly, I think this night time pattern is something you or your husband has taught your puppy and now, you will have to retrain her.  THIS WILL NOT BE EASY!!!!  NO, IT WON'T!!!!!!

continued in next e-mail....
Marie Campbell