[Dailydrool] Heartworm meds

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 08:31:38 PST 2013

All I can say is you will NEVER forget to give your hound their monthly
heartworm pill once you go through the treatment with one of your dogs. It
is BRUTAL! We did it once with one of our fosters and it was miserable. She
was a young girl and we were supposed to keep her quiet throughout the
treatment. Yeh, right. The shots are deep intramuscular injections that
they give in the dog's back and they are so sore afterwards. Poor Mandy
came home after the second series of shots and just moaned. It broke my
heart. The consequences of not giving the monthly heartworm pills far
outweigh anything else. And quite honestly, I have not heard that the
monthly treatment may shorten a dog's lifespan. None of us has a crystal
ball to see into the future. Of course it's prudent to avoid the known
things that could hurt our four legged family members but, in my humble
opinion, this is not one of them.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger