[Dailydrool] The egg plate

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 18 12:52:39 PST 2013

Hi all, it's Dale,

Such a simple thing really.  All my life I've had dogs.  Up until 3 years ago they were all labs, mostly black ones.  Any time I've eaten eggs since I've been born I've finished my eggs and set the plate down on the floor and let the dogs lick it without much further thought.  Any assortment of snooters would find their way in there, there would certainly be some "tongue wrestling" but other than that, no biggie.

Enter Snoopy.  Food aggressive Snoopy.  First time I did that after we brought Snoopy home from the dog pound all H@$l broke loose.  Cyrus just reached down to lick the plate and Snoopy SCREAMED and went after him.  Now Snoopy doesn't bite (has NEVER bitten anyone) but he IS food aggressive and will yell and lung and snap and start a war so I have to watch.

Ever since that fateful day 3 years ago I have taken my last bit of toast and torn it into as many pieces as there are dogs and tossed a piece onto the plate and let a dog lick it a bit and then tossed another piece on and offered it to a different dog and so on.

Now I have been relaxing because Snoopy is MUCH better these days.  He can do the basset 500 with Gracie and then settle without help.  He can wrestle with LuLu and Gracie and settle down afterward and he can lay in a pile with them.

So anyway, this morning I finished my eggs and tore my toast and Snoopy went first.  Then another piece of the toast and LuLu had some.  Finally the last bit of toast and Gracie had a turn.  Well, like I said I am relaxing and Gracie was last so I just put the plate on the floor and walked away.  Gracie ate her bit of toast and licked the plate and licked and licked and then Snoopy walked over there very calmly and started licking the other side of the plate and pretty soon they were tongue wrestling in the middle of the plate.  Not a sound.  Nothing.  Just licking my egg plate together.

I am overwhelmed with emotion.  I never imagined this day would come.  My husband says I am easily amused.

More later from the clueless momPerson with Snoopy who has learned how to share and be part of a dog pack
And LuLu and Gracie who always knew how to do that with other dogs but have learned to trust and love people