[Dailydrool] Bassets as Hurdles

Sue Pearson suesbassets at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 21 03:05:48 PST 2013

I lay in bed this morning trying to get another hours sleep and my mind started wandering. As we all know bassets make extremely good speed bumps but over the years I have noticed the cats have developed ways of negotiating these and other basset obstacles. These fall into two categories, hurdling and long jump. There are the normal hurdles when the basset is lying down, needed in doorways etc. and the high hurdles for when the basset is standing in the way. The for the more advanced cat athlete there is the long jump from tail to head end, again this normally takes place in doorways. For the extreme sports cat there is the moving long jump where the cat takes off at the tail end when the basset is in motion and still lands ahead of the basset, I have only seen this occasionally. I know Fey Fey would yell crockpot but you have to admire them.
SueGinger and Nell the current speed bumpsSnowy (has done all 4 types) and Sooty (low hurdles only and then if absolutely no alternative)John the c at t who first showed me these things over a variety of bassets but only ever went under Shadow the greyhound.