[Dailydrool] Dogs not eating

Michele S. wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 14:38:26 PST 2013

I know this is a  little late, but I got really behind on reading my DD's. But here are a few things that I was able to get Colt to eat when he got sick. In the order that I could usually able get him to eat it. 99% of the time I had to hand feed him small bites, in small meals every 2-4 hours a day to get him to eat. Most of this is also good if you have a hound with vomiting and or diarrhea.

Gluten Free Gingersnap Cookies. This was on the recommendation of another drooler that had dealt with a dog going through chemo. Ginger helps with soothe upset tummies
Oatmeal (quick cook, with just a tad bit of butter) Oatmeal helps soothe the tummy and gut.  Colt liked his on the thick side...you could almost make oatmeal balls with it.
Chicken Jerky (broke up into small bites and hand feed)
Gluten Free Crackers
Plan Brown Rice
Canned Tuna
Boiled Chicken
Lean Hamburger (make sure you drain and pat all the grease off with a paper towel)
Wellness Brand canned dog food. The 95% meat version of either Salmon or Lamb
Wellness Core canned dog food Turkey, Pork Liver & Duck Formula or the Beef, Venison & Lamb Formula
Plan Taste of the Wild, Wetlands Formula.
Anything that he showed an interest in eating.  #1 priority is to get them to, or keep them eating when they are sick.

Also to get him to drink water we had to give him a small bowel of water with 3 or 4 ice cubes in it. (DH came up with that one)

I hope this helps anyone that might have a hound that won't eat.  Or it might help to keep this filed away in your brains or helpful hound hints folder to refer to if your hound needs it.

Michele, Colt & Ruger at Howling Hound Acres
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...