[Dailydrool] Barney

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Tue Dec 10 16:17:20 PST 2013

" ... a badly functioning gall bladder and a liver that wasn't well. ... "

Last January, Bertie, a few days short of his tenth birthday, stopped eating. This was unheard of for him, so we were off to the vet in short order. After various tests, including an ultrasound, and only 24 hours on antibiotics, there was no improvement and he was diagnosed with a liver infection that had, basically, thrown a blood clot that lodged in the gall bladder. This had caused that organ to stop working and in fact begin to atrophy. His gall bladder was removed within 48 hours of our first visit (on his tenth birthday as it happens!), and various meds started to deal with the liver infection (hepatitis). He was in the vetspital for the next ten days ... and for the first seven of those he simply refused to eat. I was in there every day trying to persuade him; the vet staff tried; nada; nothing; he just was not interested. After a few days they had to start feeding him through a stomach tube.

To cut a long ... and very wearing ... story short, he eventually decided to eat the better part of one of the little cans of Merrick dog food (I don't remember which), fed to him from my hand. You probably heard the entire vet staff cheering that night, wherever you happened to be ...

My point in this is to say the same as another drooler ... hand feeding might just help Barney get back on track. And the messier, the smellier the food used, the better. And having been through the gall bladder/liver thing with Bertie, I'd suggest very gently, and very respectfully, that perhaps further investigation and/or another opinion might be a good thing.

Muriel Fiona Napier
pui me amat, amat et canems meum