[Dailydrool] Heartworm

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 13:50:33 PST 2013

I have to agree with Bev on this.  Have you ever killed a mosquito in your
house?!  I have.  They are terrible.  Everyone in my house is miserable
when they get bit by a mosquito.

Have you ever seen a dog with heartworm?  I have.  It is not a pretty site.
 I have seen a dog or two go through treatment.  This is also not a pretty
site.

This is one of the things you can prevent.  We live in an area where giving
round the year heartworm is optional, but the vet gives tons of incentives
for giving it year round.  I give it year round.

Just so you know, I DO NOT give flea prevention unless I know I need it.
 So, I am not a medicate for everything kind of person.  In the 17 years we
have lived at this house, I have only treated for fleas 3 years and one of
those years it was really more to keep the mosquitoes from biting.  If we
had more of a flea problem, I would treat more religiously, like we did
when we liked in Corpus Christi, Texas

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess

In most areas of the US it is not a matter of will your dog get heartworm a
much as when!