[Dailydrool] Thinking about Bev's feral cat problem

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 13:14:38 PST 2013

I was thinking of Bev's feral cat problem (feral cat family living on her street and risking their and the hounds' safety by trespassing into basset territory).

In our state there is an organization called AdvoCats. AdvoCats coordinates feral cat care. They provide free havahart trap loans and have an arrangement with the Humane Society for free spay and neuter. Then they release and appoint a caretaker for each colony to provide medical care and food on a regular basis. BUT--if the feral colony is in danger (a condo complex plans to poison them all, for example), AdvoCats will trap and relocate the entire colony to a new location and appoint a coordinator to the new location. Advocats also takes kittens that show promise of re-integrating into domestic situations, rehabilitates them, and places them in pet homes.

Our local Humane Society has a policy of immediately euthanizing any feral cats which are brought to their facility.

So, I would check to see if there is an AdvoCats in your area and contact them, explaining that the colony needs to be captured, fixed, and relocated for their own safety (from those vicious dogs in your neighborhood/yard. tee hee)