[Dailydrool] Belly button lint...

Gaylene Opal-Deitering gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Feb 11 12:26:52 PST 2013

Hi Dale,
Ah, the memories...Yes, bassets do get belly button lint!  My late great
Clover was the queen of having trash in her belly button.  We called them
"snerds" Oh my goodness, the stuff I would find in there.  Often it was
grass clippings mixed up with hair and dirt, but sometime it was colored
paper or lint or even once some tinsel.  She had droopy teats in her old
age (don't we all? Sometimes I am afraid to look at what might be stuck
under or between my own, <snork>), and she would often roll over for a
belly rub, snerd removal, booby inspection.

The term "Snerd" came from a guy who dated my sister.  They had a friend
with a little girl, and one day he was out shirtless and had lint in HIS
belly button, which the little girl spotted and asked him about.  He called
it a snerd, told her it was alive, and they put it in a jar with holes
punched in the lid.  He had her convinced that she had to open the jar
every day so the snerd could get fresh air and it would grow.  He then
occasionally added more lint to the snerd.  I guess that they had her going
for a few months with that.  Anyway, just enjoy the snerds and count
yourself blessed to have something funny to talk about with your friends.

Gaylene, and bassets Brutus, Sassy, Arthur, Rocky, with Samson and Ivy the
Pomahuahuas. Missing Clover, Bubby, and Channy ATB