[Dailydrool] Prescription Dog Meds

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 13:59:26 PST 2013

I just had an extremely expensive (just shy of $1000) vet visit for Chester, who has bacterial pneumonia. Considering I thought I wasn't bringing him back home,

that was extremely good news at the time, and still is. He is to be on 2 different antibiotics for at least 6 weeks, and possibly most of the rest of his life.

The meds were about $450.00 to cover the first 2 weeks . When the vet called the next day to tell me the results of the radioligist looking at his xrays, I asked if I could get a prescription and maybe find the meds cheaper somewhere else, she said yes. But she also said they would probably price match what I find. Well, I found Zeniquin at Fosters and Smith for $140.00 and they charged me $238.00. The other one, Clavamox, I found for $168.00 and they charged $207.00, so that is a bit less offensive. It is OK to ask for a script, right? I mean, this is crazy. This is not my "regular" vet, but kind of an emergency vet that the rescue group I worked with used all the time. I feel kind of funny wanting them to write me a prescription, but my heck. What does everyone do? Just go with the vet price or

get stuff other places? Really wondering.

Marilyn Briggs