[Dailydrool] fostering and crates

msbbeabear at comcast.net msbbeabear at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 04:57:12 PST 2013

I am a volunteer for a no kill shelter and I have been working with a 6 yr old Basset Hound that came in about 4 months ago.  He has been crated all this time except for a few days in a run.  We have so many dogs coming and going that he never gets to stay in a run.   I walk him when I am there for 45 minutes to an hour but I don't think that is enough.  He gets out after 10 in the morning and then later in the afternoon about 4.  We close at 5 so he is in there most of the time and not pottied until at least 10 the next morning.   I am beside myself for this guy.  He is one of the best.  His only issue is he dosen't seem to fair well with all dogs.  So he needs to be  the only dog.  I am trying to see if I can get him home to foster him.  As some of you know,  I already have 8 dogs that get along great together and have never had any issues with them.   I need to know what to do here.  Is he going to be ok until he gets adopted in that crate or should I take him home?   I am really upset about this and think about him all the time.  I might be overplaying this but I need some expert advice here.

Renee