[Dailydrool] JP's recovery is a bit difficult so far

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 04:01:11 PST 2013

JP came home around six last night.  He is not a happy camper.  He is not eating, and one of his meds needs to be given with food.  On the walk from the car back to the house, he kept collapsing in the rear, and I had to use a sling to get him in the house.  He is in obvious pain, despite a lot of pain meds.  This is the first time I am this worried about any of my bassets since Pierre sr. went in for emergency care the last week of his life.  I slept in the living room last night, got him out at each of his requests, usually every 1 - 1 1/2 hours, either a pee or a squirt of poop.   Very liquid.  I was given a turkey baster sized syringe to spray clean his butt with a water spray to avoid too much wiping as his incision is large and deep (3 layers of stitches).  I almost regret putting him through this surgery, and I know this is the last time he gets surgery, unless it is a dire emergency.  I don't know if this growth qualifies as a dire emergency, but I have heard of many pets exceeding the time line given them when diagnosed with cancer.  He is at the end of what the oncologist previously gave him.  The grocery opens in 10 minutes, and I am going to buy chicken breast, burger, yogurt, every flavor of cesar's dog food (I got him to eat a little of that last night, not this am, but it was a different flavor).  I opened 3 cans of different flavors and brands and none appealed to him.  The other hounds will help clean that up.   I will try scrambled eggs later, even baby food.  He rejected deli roast beef and cheese.  He is good about down the hatch with pills, and I forced some cheese into him, but I really need to see him eat on his own.  One of his medicines is pred., so he is drinking satisfactorily.
Thanks to all who sent drool, and I will send personal thanks sooner than later.
Well the boy is overweight, so he has calories to burn, but this is not how I wanted him to lose weight.
I am grateful that he is home, however, and we did a lot of hugging, and he even gave me kisses during the night.  I spent a lot of time massaging him, just staying close so he knows how much I love him.
Healing drool to all in need,
Jackie and the hounds who respectively gave him space and did not gang him, even when I was trying to special feed him