[Dailydrool] Need Big Drool at the Beach

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 04:07:41 PST 2013

This should of been a great happy story, but not so much right now. To make a long story short, I finally adopted a new senior. A total love named Dollie. She is 9, she looks a lot like Daisy but has a attitude like Elder Clara. I am just smitten with her, I went to Florida last week and adopted her from Suncoast Basset Rescue. It was a long 1700 miles for me, but oh she was so good, took the hotels in stride, rode like a trooper. We got home and she met the gang, and set the ground rules right off. Even Jake likes her, Elwood swooned at the thought of another old lady, and Bess was flat thrilled.
Yesterday morning she refused to eat, I could hear her tummy rumble, so I took her in to the clinic. She got fluids, a shot to calm the tummy and on a whim, I said lets do blood work. I brought her home.
Later in the afternoon, she was worse, barfing and she looked awful. Back to the clinic--now this was a trip, I could smell she was sick and got her there as fast as I could. I opened the hatch of the BUV and there was bloody diarrhea dripping out of the car onto the bumper-it was just awful. In we went and I got her to the desk and she stood there and blood was everywhere, they took her back and started working on her and took x-rays, got the IV going and more meds--they showed me the x-rays, said they think it is all stress related, but she is one sick hound.  They also found that she had been shot at some point in her life-the bee bee shot is right there-nestled against her spleen. There is no outward sign of this, and it has been there probably for years-what we do about this--well, right now we leave it. They kept her there last night and not sure about when she can come home, they did a atch (?) test for addisions disease last night also. I will know more today.
I am in shock, my heart is just breaking, and I go back to work today. Bassets are so stoic-here she was running and sniffing and barking, fitting in so well and now so sick. Doc said HGE is also all stress related, but I guess until all the tests are back I will have to find some patience.
If you have some drool and a prayer, my new little girl sure needs it. She obviously has been thru a lot in life, and here she was finally going to have a home and all I could give and now so sick.
Dollie and the rest of the Beach Gang say thanks in advance--

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake
 Sister Bessie, The Younger