[Dailydrool] Fosters and resident dogs

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 21 15:58:32 PST 2013

First off, beforewarned, I am completely clueless.

That said we haven't had anyone injure anyone else (yet) and we've brought home
all manor of beasts, all directly from the dog pound, and over the last couple
of years all bassets.  I do have some observations and I can share what GGBR
told me.

1st)  Take it SLOW.  The first 72 hrs are all about introductions.  Everybody
will be nervous, people, resident dogs, new dog, everybody.  Take is slow and
easy and simplify for a few days.

2nd)  Supervise and distract.  The bassets I have dealt with (and Snoopy is a
handful, let me tell you) are alot like 2 years olds.  Shouting "Cookie TIME,
will you look at that it's COOKIE TIME" can defuse most situations if it is
shouted BEFORE an actual scuffle ensues.  Snoopy will ALWAYS quit yelling at
Gracie and sit shoulder to shoulder with her sweetly instead for a cookie.
 Similarly squeaking and throwing a toy or simply changing rooms.  Distractions
work wonderfully well for bassets (and labs too, btw but I digress)

3rd)  The relationship at 3 days bears little resemblence to the relationship at
1 week, similarly 1 month, 3 months, et al.  It evolves.  And the "good" foster
dog often turns out to be a holy terror in true basset fashion once they feel at
home and show their true colors.  Debbie told me about how Gracie was probably
mumbling rude remarks under her breath at Snoopy when I wasn't looking and she
was SO right ......

4th)  Some dogs hate each other on first sight.  There is never any doubt in
your mind if this is the case.  You can tell by the blood.  And you'll know
right away too.

I, myself, haven't had any bloodshed nor returned any fosters.  My Gracie was
difficult because I didn't have Cyrus here to keep Snoopy in line AND Snoopy had
just lost his best friend 2 weeks before I pulled Gracie and was in no mood to
socialize.  Gracie, however, was very needy and wanted to be MY best friend and
kept pushing Snoopy away from me just when he needed me most.  He was polite
until she was healthy and then he was NOT polite for a while.  These days they
get along ok, he chest rubs with her when they pass each other in doorways and
he plays with her a little bit.  They are currently all 3 curled up on the couch
behind me sound asleep ... they went to the dog park earlier and are all
tuckered out.  If Gracie challenges Snoopy for food or the best spot next to me
he is not above grabbing her ear and pulling her around by it but he won't
actually bite it or bruise it or make it bleed or anything.  I, personally,
think the fact that she is not afraid to continue to do these things speaks
volumes.

In Lisa's case didn't Baloo recently loose Zoe?  I wonder if he is going through
some of the same things Snoopy is.  His reactions sound familiar.  My gut feel
is give it time, because more change at a time like this could make matters
worse for everyone.

All of that said, remember, I remain the clueless momPerson.

best,
Dale