[Dailydrool] I need foster help!

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 11:01:05 PST 2013

As I've warned new foster homes, the first 24 to 48 hours can be very
stressful.  One key in fostering is to have a foster that has a similar
temperment to the resident dogs.  If your dog was used to the other dog
being sedentary, then a really active foster can be a problem.

As far as growling and snapping - that can be normal.  The order of the
pack has been upset.  My submission female basset Lady becomes a growling
b*tch when a new foster arrives.  Within 48 to 72 hours, she settles down
to ignoring the new foster.  At some point (a week or so later), Lady will
start playing with the foster.  It's at that point that some family will
call about the foster within the next 48 hours.

If you don't feel comfortable with your dog and your foster, ask the rescue
for assistance.  They might be able to send a volunteer over to help access
the situation.  Don't feel like a failure if you need to rehome your foster
- it happens to most of us at some point.

Lisa - feel free to email me directly if you wish.

Jan
Lady & Dexter
Fostering Sadie, long-haired Rosie and Buster, Jr.