[Dailydrool] Amelia's legs

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:24:53 PST 2013

I am surprised that the ER vet did not suggest more xrays or even an MRI. If there has been an injury- the usual window for surgery is 24-48 hours. Degenerative disease of course does not have such a short time frame- but additional problems can come up. Get her to your own vet as soon as you can. And put her on crate rest- or confine her to a small area. Is she moving her feet? Can she lift her feet or support her own weight? Does she wag her tail? If you push up in between her toes- right in the middle of the foot- there should be a reflex "kick'. These are all good signs.
My Elvis 'lost' his legs almost 5 years ago- surgery was not advised and by the time it was- it was too late. He has gained some movement and feeling back- however he can't walk unless he is held up. He can't support his weight for more than a few seconds and then only if I place his feet just so.
L-Glutamine 500mg twice a day and B-12 sunlungual 500mcg twice a day are beneficial for nerve growth and the muscles I think.
Sending lots of healing drool to your girl!
Angelika