[Dailydrool] Queen Xandy Bear

Wilder, Sharon Sharon.Wilder at Simonandschuster.com
Thu Feb 21 07:07:54 PST 2013

Xandy Bear is gone.  I keep repeating this over and over in my head but I can't seem to make sense of it.  The awful reality of that sentence is almost more than I can "bear" if you will.  We brought her home at 15 weeks and she truly was a perfect puppy.  She was never destructive and was the best little love bug around.  She was such a confident pup brought into this world by her breeders Ed & Mary Smizer of Maredge Kennels.  Xandy Bear loved everyone two or four legged and always met the world firmly believing that everyone loved her.  As it turned out she was pretty much right.  She had the ability to charm the pants off everyone she met.  Even on the trip to the emergency vet Friday before last she was making friends with everyone.  She was my muse and my inspiration and it was XB that led me to basset rescue.  She traveled everywhere with me to events.  She loved all the attention. She was married to Blueberry Wilder at the Trump Marina before she was a year old.   At her first waddle she raced behind  GM Maxwell's convertible  as if to say, "wait, you forgot me!"  She eventually earned her turn as Grand Marshall and boy did she LOVE riding on the back of that convertible.  In 2011 she was crowned "Raining" Queen of the Michigan waddle (you had to be there)   Undaunted, she had her carriage ride in the pouring rain.  On the upside no one will EVER forget THAT waddle with Queen Xandy Bear and King Holly Noelle. Last year was a tough year for XB.  Early in the year she was diagnosed with diabetes and needed insulin twice a day.  In October she lost her sight.  She handled both with grace and continued about her days as though nothing was different.   On her second trip to the emergency hospital last week for the awful wheezing she was diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis. This time the wheezing would not stop. Her vocal chords would no longer open and shut as they should.  Surgical options were likely to fail.  She had been too wonderful a companion to put through anything more so we said goodbye to our baby bear.  In her 10 ½  years she worked very hard for basset rescue.  She offered premiums in exchange for donations, she hawked items on Houndsbay.  She "Woofled" with Fey Fey's blessing and over the years raised thousands of dollars for rescue.   Of course, we didn't do it alone and XB would be upset with me if I didn't say thank you to her Drool family for every item donated for a Woofle, and for the kindness of every person who ever bid on a Houndsbay item or purchased a Woofle ticket.  We could not have done it without your generosity and support. I will be forever grateful for the gift of this beautiful being in my life.  I don't know yet if she will speak to me from the Bridge but I do know we will miss her each and every day.

***Note address and fax number as of 5/20/2011***
1639 Route 10 East
Suite 200
Parsippany, NJ 07054

Phone: 973-656-6121