[Dailydrool] getting a second basset hound

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:00:18 PST 2013

We used to have 2 Golden Retrievers (litter mates).  After one of them died
just shy of his 12th birthday, we wanted to get another dog to keep the old
guy (Cysco) young.  5 years ago, we got our first basset, MacKenzie.  Her
mother was from Tait's in PA, but her father was a Speis O'Lif basset.  She
and Cysco were instant friends.  A few months later we got a second basset,
Gallagher (MacKenzie's first cousin).  I swear he idolized the old golden
and to this day when he sees an old golden, he goes crazy.  Cysco used to
be an aggressive dog with other dogs and he was listless without his
brother.  These two young bassets seemed to transform him into a dog
friendly guy who acted like a puppy, despite his worsening arthritis.
 Anyway, they kept Cysco young and he lived to almost 14.  For a HUGE
golden, this was very old.  So, when Cysco passed, we adopted a senior
basset, Poppy.  She was about 9.  She quickly took charge of the 2 young
ones, but they were slowing down a bit.  So we went back to our breeder and
got another "buppy", our 4th basset.  Guinness is actually the great
grandson of MacKenzie's father!  Our then 11 year old girl was a hoot with
him.  If he got out of line, she "boxed" with him.  I swear she acted like
a puppy.  We lost her to cancer a year ago, but she lived longer than
expected after diagnosis.  I think a lot of that was due to her
relationship with Guinness.  He was by her side on her last day.

So, get a second basset hound!  Heck, get a third.