[Dailydrool] blilnd bassets

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Fri Jan 4 07:20:15 PST 2013

We've had several blind dogs over the years and with one exception, they
all adjusted just fine.  A friend's blind basset was the poster boy
for blind bassets.  I have watched him start in the living room at
one end of the house. get up, run the width of the living room complete
with assorted obstacles like dog beds, furniture, etc., enter the dining
room, go UNDER the borzoi (Russian wolfhound.  TALL dog.), proceed
into the kitchen, make a  90 degree left turn, go through the open
double doors, down 5 or 6 steps, across the foyer, through a flap door
into the kennel, make an almost immediate 90 degree right turn,, go down a
passageway next to the end run, out another flap door and into the back
yard, all at TOP SPEED and without touching anything.  Never let
anyone tell you bassets need their eyes.

One of our
blind girls, Monkey ATB, who was also enucleated (had her eyes removed and
sewn shut) often went out to things like ball games with the spouse and
played the normal basset meet and greet committee and no one ever noticed
that she couldn't see.

The only one we had any trouble with was
our Blues ATB who was about 11 when she went blind.  Her other senses
were impaired by then and the nose was not what it used to be.  She
would get confused and end up standing in a corner facing the wall and not
knowing what to do next.  It was actually quite funny, but we always
helped her out.

Drool to all who need it.

crazy
basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

AKC Breeders of Merit
Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at
www.bbrescue.org