[Dailydrool] bathing (dogs).

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 05:43:56 PST 2013

I very rarely bathe the dogs unless I am showing.
I don't have very good facilities in which to do it: it destroys my back to
lean into the tub and my bad knee to kneel next to it. And I no longer have
a power drier. When I was showing I had my friend and professional groomer
Annette do them, and I will probably have her do Doc as well.
I find most of the smell from the dogs is from ears, teeth, anals or skin
infection rather than simple doggy smell.  Hounds do have a more intense
doggy odor but they have a lot of oil in their coats. A proper coat,
according to the standard, is "hard"-- that is, not soft and fluffy. What
we like and what they are required to have to protect them in the field are
not necessarily the same thing.
I do keep a half gallon of "rinseless shampoo" and will use that if someone
gets into something or has an accident. I always carry it when I am showing
or traveling, and I have it at home.
When they really, truly have to have baths, I send them out.
I am so bad.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc