[Dailydrool] Two blind bassets and depression

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Tue Jan 15 12:09:26 PST 2013

Our Browser has been blind from glaucoma since age 5 and has adapted
amazingly well (he is now nine).  Pixel became blind in one eye a year ago
from glaucoma and now her other eye has gone totally blind as well.  Our
two dogs are not related.

She is understandably depressed and hesitant to move around.  She does have
an excellent appetite.  Browser is acting depressed about Pixel and his
appetite is down.

I am sure when we go to the eye vet on Friday, she will tell us that there
is no sight left.  (we are giving Pixel  4 different eye drops four times a
day until Friday to see if the pressure comes down as it was way up on
Monday).

I do not think there is much hope and our vet said "it looks like the end
of the road" as per the vision.

Anyone have two blind bassets?  We have had bassets for 25 years and never
had this situation, not even one blind basset.

What a horrible disease--glaucoma is so common in our breed and our vet
said research has gone nowhere in trying to get to the bottom of glaucoma.

Sally and Bert Russell, Pixel and Browser