[Dailydrool] deafness

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:55:55 PST 2013

Stand well behind the dog and drop your car keys. Does she startle? Turn
toward the sound?
The trick it to be where she cannot SEE you drop your keys, clap your
hands, bang her food dish (that's a good one)or stomp your feet.
I would guess that you are correct in that she has lost a lot of her
hearing but not all of it,so she hears you but is unable to triangulate the
sound. I sympathize. I have the same problem with a hearing loss that is
worse in one ear and so makes it difficult if not impossible for me to
find, for example, a singing bird in a tree. I hear it, but I cannot zero
in on it. I do not get enough good information from one ear.
You might want to try giving her a little treat (and I mean little) when
you speak and she looks at you. If she is hearing you and ignoring you,
she'll quit, and if she is having trouble finding you, she'll
probably learn how to do it.

(If Someone gave me a glass of wine everytime he called my name, I might
respond faster, myself. Hmmm...)

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc