[Dailydrool] this week, long

Senior Houndsabound houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 18:44:57 PST 2013

Hi all,
I have been a bit MIA this past week, and so sad to read about all the hounds who have left for the Bridge,  and left their people feeling very sad. Also there are so many in need of drool,  I have been sending out the drool from the gang with each posts.  Can only hope life eases up a little for everyone, and our hounds can get back to being healthy, silly and oh, so very loving!

We had a bit of a scare here yesterday.  Edward had a dental, we got home and all was okay,  and then he started showing signs of bloat.  Fortunately, we got him right back over to our vet and they were wonderful.  He ended up not having a torsion, and was able to be decompressed, which is basically inserting a tube into the stomach to relieve the gas.  They did have to put him out again to tube him, but after personally experiencing an NG tube,  they are going to have to put me out for that if ever needed again.  On the x-ray, they did find he has a bladder stone of significant size,  and his liver is enlarged.  We have decided to go ahead and do surgery to tack his stomach, and they will remove the bladder stone while there and also can look at his liver and do a biopsy of it.   Was told the stone could cause a urine blockage, and we figured we would do surgery under more controlled circumstances rather than waiting for the stone to try to come out.
Edward is such a good boy,  one of Laura Salmons favorites!  I slept on the floor with him last night as I wanted to be close if he started to bloat again.  Once they bloat they are prone to it, which is one of the reasons to go ahead with the surgery.

For folks who have never had  a dog go through bloat,  please read about it,  learn the symptoms and know you have to act fast in getting vet care, as it is extremely serious, and life threatening.

Drool to all from the Bounders,  hugs rom me!
And special snooter kisses going to Eddies Auntie Laura!