[Dailydrool] Good news

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Jan 23 14:58:30 PST 2013

I thought it was time to cheer up folks on the Drool, what with all the hounds who have been sick and Bridge bound. And Horton the foster has given me the perfect good news to share.

Horton came to me with a broken leg that was partly healed. He'd stayed for a while at the vet's, while Tri-State decided where he should go. Since he couldn't do stairs and we had a ramp, even though I don't really do puppies, he came to us. This little boy (it turns out he's just over a year old) was so quiet and good that I thought he was older than he really is. Unlike our Jane, whom we got as a pup, he does not get into any trouble at all. Maybe his tummy troubles, which seem to be all healed up, also made him a lot calmer than usual.

Last night, in the middle of the night, Horton began to prove to me that he really is a puppy. I heard Holly go into another room and feared that meant she had to pee, so I followed her and decided to take her out. Horton bounced along very happily and got to go out too. Once we got back to the bedroom, Horton decided he wanted to jump up on the bed. I ended up moving to the couch for the rest of the night, so he could be near me but not jump up so high.

I cannot allow him to go on the bed until the orthopedist says it's OK, but I was encouraged that this little guy was feeling good enough to try. And this morning, to show me how really good he feels, he unearthed a Kong ball and started chasing it through the house. Sounds as if I am going to have to really ride herd on this fellow to make sure he doesn't overdo it, but I am so glad he's feeling so much better.

When Horton goes to his new home, I think he'll take the Kong ball. No one here uses it very much, and I usually try to give my fosters a toy to take with them. Sounds as if Horton has found his--he's not much interested in stuffies, and it looked as if he wasn't going to have a toy. I am so glad he found this one.

Now if I can only keep him calm enough not to harm his leg. He's been so good about not being rambunctious, but I think that's come to an end.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, including foster Horton