[Dailydrool] THANK YOU Droolers

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 11:09:00 PST 2013

Hi all, it's the ever clueless (and paranoid) momPerson here,

I know, I know, I'm a whimp.  Thanks for understanding how stroke inducing it is
Debbie, it does sound like world war 3.  And you are all right, if he wanted to
hurt someone then they would have an injury.

And thank you Jennifer for sharing that the same stuff goes on at your house.  I
swear Labs don't do this and if one starts it is part of an escalation that if
you don't reverse they will eventually get habitually aggressive.  I guess
bassets are different.  I'm learning.

Now for the clueless part.  He IS a full moon dog and I know that because when
the moon is full he YELLS for his ENTIRE walk.  We walk more than a mile and he
literally charges along pulling like a madman, snooter straight in the air,
screaming AHROOOOOOOOO for all he is worth.  The entire walk.  I have tried mild
leash corrections.  I have tried strong leash corrections.  I have gotten mad
and yanked that dang leash hard enough that I pulled his front end clear off the
ground.  I have tried bringing a squirt bottle.   AHROOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Nothing
stops it.

Last night he crossed a line.  I walked him with Gracie.  And then I came home
and walked Gracie and LuLu.  When we girls came home he was on the couch.  In
the middle.  SNOOPY'S couch.  Don't even think about joining Snoopy on the
couch.  LuLu sauntered over there and leapt up on the ottoman, which is almost
as big as the couch and pushed up against it.  They each growled a little and
showed off their dentistry and then he reached over and grabbed her ear.  I
SWEAR.  I YELLLED HEY!!!!!!!  and in the same moment LuLu gave him a death
stare.  He dropped the ear.  He lay down.  She lay down.  We had no more
trouble.

I don't crate but I do time outs.  I used to do time outs in the man cave but
then Snoopy discovered that the food bin is on wheels and if you wheel it over
to one of the rugs you can usually jam up the wheels with the rug and tip it
over and eat 8 days worth of food all in your 5 minute timeout.  So now we do
timeouts in the office.  Dog bed, couch, smells like a clueless momPerson in
there ..... he's ok with it.  If we are having steak and it's summer I put all
the dogs out back.  In winter if we are having steak then I make up a peanut
butter kong and Snoopy enjoys that in the office while we eat.

I am going to try breathing deeply and stepping back and let the dogs handle it.

thank you so much for always being there when they scare me.

The ever clueless momPeron who loves these dogs.

P.S.  I woke up this morning and looked over at the DH.  Gracie was curled up on
his elbow with her Snooter against his.  Snoopy was pressed up against him up
backbone to backbone all the way down.  And LuLu had his tummy and legs.  He was
a basset sandwich.  I think there is love here.  I'm just clueless.