[Dailydrool] bathing

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 6 08:43:09 PST 2013

Hi all it's the clueless momPerson here,

Note the name.  I really don't have a clue.  But I do have some observations.

Cyrus I bathed 4 to 6 times a year with soap.  But he loved that darned shower
so he'd go in there and get wet all the time.  Getting wet doesn't count as
bathing ..... labs can get wet every single day of their lived (and twice on
Sunday) and it doesn't bother their coat.  But use soap often and you'll make a
mess.

Enter Snoopy.  Itch, scratch, itch, red bald spots, itch, scratch.  Someone said
to bathe him once a week and I was like "huh, my mom would have had a heart
attack but .... it is a basset" so I tried it and it solves his itchies.  When I
bathe him he stops itching altogether, when he hits about 10 days his is an
itching scratching machine.  So I let him tell me, when he starts the itchy
scratchy stuff I bathe him.  Was a week, then 10 days .... actually approaching
12 days now.

LuLu can usually hit a month before she starts the itchy scratchy dance.  I
bathe her when she itches.

Gracie is usually in lock step with Snoopy (10-12 days).

So, it would seem to me in all my cluelessness that all  breeds are different
and even within a breed all dogs are different and in the end it makes sense to
do what works to make the dogs comfortable in my humble (and clueless) opinion.

More later from the clueless momPerson with Snoopy (who still hasn't pooped) and
LuLu (who doesn't need many baths) and Gracie (who got a hold of a resuable
grocery bag and doesn't believe that bag can be reused anymore)