[Dailydrool] Bathing bassets

oakrydgebh at q.com oakrydgebh at q.com
Mon Jan 7 15:26:06 PST 2013

Here, the houndage is bathed on an as needed basis . I would say on average they get 3 or 4 baths a year unless they are being shown then they are bathed prior to each show trip. I agree with others  that most smelly odors are the result of  full anals,  dirty ears or yeasty skin. For the most part my bassets don't have these issues. I do their nails every 4 to 6  weeks and express their anals if needed and do a tho rough ear cleaning at the same time. In between, everyone gets their ears inspected everytime they get a belly rub or ear skritches or any other petting or grooming. I do have to be careful to make sure the ears are thouroughly  dry inside after they've been to the vet and I've requested their ears be flushed out  as the vets tend to leave a lot of moisture inside their ears.  Some will  need a bath more often than others. I do have one old girl that has always been a dirt magnet a nd she is mostly white . Dirt just seems to cling to her coat. But even so she never stinks. In my experience, if there's an offensive odor there is something causing it, ie. ears, anals or a skin problem. Scent hounds do have a distinct odor compared to other types of dogs that some peo ple just don't appreciate. When my husband was driving truck and away from home most of the time, he would complain that the house smelled of "hound" when he came home. Now that he is not on the road and spends more time at home, he hasn't complained . Not that it would do him any good any way. I used to reply "yes, dear. We have dogs here. Naturally, his dog never smells like a dog! LOL. Megan is a weima raner.

Jacqie Marvich

Oakrydge Bassets