[Dailydrool] dementia

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Tue Jul 9 16:49:21 PDT 2013

mymr cooper the bassetter  had demtentia.  i believe his was a result of a combination of congestive heart failure, being heartwaorm + (& then treated) , having an enlarged heart, as well as having a displaced trachea too.  you could see at times he just wasn't getting enough oxygen to his noggin.

towards the end, he would go outside & then forget why, he played like a puppy in snow (snow which he hated for the entire time i had him) & he would play even harder with squeaky toys.  once he even nipped me.  I knew he was sliding deeper into the deep end of the pool when he refused to come to me once at the park , when he always came right away (he was playing keep away in the snow) & once when he let me trim the fur on his feet..this was a dog who needed to be deeply sedated at the vet's for that.

towards the end he was so lost, i just let him go.  his cardiac issues outweighed his dementia.  loved that sweet old boy dearly.

i can say that i doubt his first puppyhood was much fun for him, but i made damn sure his 2nd was as fun & enjoyable as it could be.

as for dogs that gaze at you with eyes that are totally blank..well that is so miss sally..it isn't dementia for that would require a brain.  she just is intellectually challenged.  i board her someplace & the first night home she looks at me as tho i am a serious stranger.  no lie.  had her for 3.5 months & i swear that first few days she doesn't recognize me.  that girl is a little light in the head.

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."  Albert Einstein