[Dailydrool] I miss the birdie

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 13 11:08:39 PDT 2013

Hi all, it's the clueless momPerson here,

I really wish LuLu hadn't eaten the bird.  I know itt almost killed her, but It DID kill the bird.  I liked the bird, not as much as I love my LuLu obviously, but still, she didn't have to eat him.

Now, we used to have a bird feeder (bird baiter is what my husband called it when we got rid of it).  We've had bird dogs always but Cyrus would CHASE them, he never CAUGHT one.  Snoopy catches them pretty easy (what is it with bassets and birds, do the birds thing the basset looks slow and clumsy because let me tell you mine are neither) and after the 2nd or 3rd time I had to chase him all over the yard with a bird flapping in his mouth and make him let the bird go my husband made me stop "baiting the bird baiter"  .... so it is out there because it is pretty, but no bird food in it.

This spring a pretty bird moved into the yard.  He'd roost on the iron statue of a lab in the garden and swoop over to the fountain to enterain us.  He would sit on the bamboo trelis on our patio where the flowers climb and watch us drink our coffee.  He was small with a black crest.  He got to the point where he was very comfortable with us, would always show himself when we were out in the back yard.  He got too comfortable apparently.

So LuLu ate him.

Now I know what you are thinking .... the bird hadn't had his shots and LuLu lives here and he's visiting and LuLu is a mammal and he isn't and nature and all that.

I still miss the bird.  And LuLu is significantly less civilized than I previously thought she was.

More later from the clueless momPerson who misses the backyard bird.