[Dailydrool] Summer romance

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Tue Jul 16 07:26:29 PDT 2013

On Sunday we went to a basset barbecue - 30-odd hounds running around while the humans indulged in food and drink.

It  was a very hot day and Rolph spent the first hour lying under a hedge and not even looking for food! Later, I went inside the house  to get a glass of water and glanced out of the window to see two bassets playing in the most charming fashion, jumping in the air, patter-caking, rolling around. Imagine my shock to see Rolph - whose idea of playing is to run round barking at other dogs - was one of them.

He was playing with a pretty young houndette named Speckles who was shamelessly throwing herself at him. They were really enjoying a bit of summer romance, but Clara was not so happy.

She may ignore Rolph and get fed up with his grumpy ways, but she was not happy that another houndette wanted his company.

She kept trying to break them up, desperately trying to get first Rolph and then Speckles to play with her instead. She failed.

The next day, Rolph was a bit stiff, sore and grumpy, so he didn't want to go for a walk. Normally Clara would cease the chance to have me to herself, but not after his infidelity! She refused to leave the house unless he went too!

Ahh those houndies.

Sally, with PW Rolph OEBE and Clara, UK

This document is private and confidential.
All property, copyright and other rights in it and its contents belong to Newsquest Media Group Limited.
It must not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used without Newsquest's authorisation. Newsquest may exercise its legal rights and remedies in the event of any such unauthorised use.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111. Registered office: 58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP.