[Dailydrool] Dog allergic to bee sting -- advice needed

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 08:46:07 PDT 2013

Hi.  My best friend's dog (Clover) was stung by a bee last night  and went
into anaphylactic shock.  Fortunately she called me and I knew of  the
closest 24-hour emergency clinic.  By the time they got him there, he  was almost
gone, but I'd called ahead and everything was ready and they jumped  into
action, and now he's home and fine.  But it was  terrifying.

I suggested that she ask them for epi-pens.  The emergency  vet said not to
use them for dogs, just always rush them to a vet if  they're stung.  That
scares me, because even at home that's cutting it  pretty close (takes 15
minutes), and what if you're away from home?  My  friend is following his
directions, but I think she needs to call her regular  vet and get the pens.
But what do I know?

Has anyone had any experience with a severely allergic dog?  Do  you have
epi-pens?  Have you used them?  Any other hints or  suggestions on protecting
them?  (We're just in a suburb, not out in the  woods, this was a bee in
his own back yard, so it's pretty hard to avoid them no  matter how vigilant.)

Thanks for any help.  Maybe he should just change his name, so  the bees
don't seek out Clover.

Hi to all,
Beth H. (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)

For Duchess and Blueberry: "You have gone  ahead and nothing is the same,
leaving pawprints on my heart that will always  remain." -- Tibetan Proverb
from Prayers on the  Wind