[Dailydrool] Things my bassets eat.

oakrydgebh at q.com oakrydgebh at q.com
Thu Jul 25 15:02:07 PDT 2013

Banana skins-Every morning the DH has at least one whole banana with his breakfast and divides up the skin among the bassets who produce copious amounts of drool as they wait for their share. The only part of a banana that goes in the trash around here is the stem and the end cap.

Lettuce-If I'm fixing salad to go with a meal, Noelle sits right there and waits for her lettuce leaves. My husband's wei me raner, Megan  will on eat salad with blue cheese dressing on it. I f we're having salad she sits right next to me. Dad prefers I talian dressing  and Megan won't eat his salad . She does like dill pickles too. Go figure.

There's no need to compost leftover fruits and veggies here. Between the dogs and the goats, there's rarely any leftovers.

Here are us some more things they like to  eat.

Tomatoes-Start slicing tomatoes and I have several drooling hounds and Megan sitting and waiting, drooling profusely until they all get their slice of tomato. I used to grow tomato plants and would like to again but I don't think we'd get to eat any of the tomatoes.

They all eat carrots cooked or raw,  cucumbers, most varieties of squash , all kinds of beans even baked beans, corn, broccoli cooked and raw. T hey go nuts for shredded cabbage especially at that time of year when they all seem to  want to graze on grass like cows . I shred cabbage an d add it to their dinner. They love it. Sweet potatoes cut in slices then microwaved with a little water are another favorite. And of course pumpkin. They love pumpkin.

Watermelon is probably their most favorite fruit but they will eat most any fruit we have . The goats will eat w atermelon  too. We buy the big stri ped ones with seeds, cut it up into chunks, remove the seeds and hand out the chunks one by one. They all wait their turn for their piece of melon.  I think Megan would eat the whole thing if we'd let her.

Since I've fed these things to primarily bassets , I can't speak for other breeds. Megan's forgotten she's a weimaraner long ago.  I know they all figure if Mom and Dad like it, it's gotta  be good and they chow down. Even bassets that come here never having eaten fruits and veggies will eventually eat them . After all, the rest of the pack eats that so I better get my share. Oh my, this is really good. Can I have some more? Dazzle is 9 y rs. old and came here at 4 mo. of age. She just recently started eating banana skins. I think because all the  rest would steal her s since she'd just leave it laying  in her crate. When she' return, it was gone.  Now she checks to see if anyone has left theirs behind. The only rule that we follow  is that we don't give them anything that we haven't personally prepared from fresh produce.

Big Ben is a 200# Boer wether goat. He loves corn cobs. The DH breaks them into chunks and takes then out in a bowl and hands them to Ben one by one. If you could see him eating them you'd think he was in heaven. He just loves them.

I've never had a problem as a result of their eating fruits an d veggies. Madisyn loved bread . Any kind of  bread . Once she ate 6 English muffins  with raisins in them. One of the few times I've ever had to use hydrogen peroxide to clean out  a hounds tummy. What a slimy y uc ky mess! Thank d oG I thought to take her outside before I did that .

Jacqie Marvich

Oakrydge Bassets