[Dailydrool] Having a dog vs having a companion who has human friends too

D Schneider spitfire8000 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 27 06:25:31 PDT 2013

So over the years, my husband and I have grown up with dogs and as a family "had dogs." I have to say that as I sat here all this week with our bassets (10 and 8) at 4 am because they just wanted to wonder around and who then fell back to sleep by 5:30 when I needed to be up for work,that they are different. I have to thank Our friends, Joni, Patty, Alexa, Gary and JP for adding Dan, Murphy, Winston (they brought us to Winston), and I to their basset family so that we could allow ourselves to appreciate our "dogs" for who they want to be (well most of the time), listen patiently to our stories over the years, exchanging photos and advice, and looking at zillions of action and snoozing snapshots sent over the phones. Bassets have made our Brussels better because she now too howls with the pack and they have her working for them. Just as valuable as having this engaged breed in our household, are our friends who have their bassets. Who else can appreciate the thought it takes to get a long body into position to use the foot pedal and open a tall trash can, to manipulate their way onto an occupied seat, or to convince us with their enthusiasm and excitement that whatever activity they have in mind is what's best for everyone's spirit. Maybe another breed will leash dance on the beach - though i haven't seen it - but will their owner join in? I think not. Basset owners are special and usually are just as silly, funny, loving and "up for it" as their furry family members. My daughters ask " who other than basset owners, will be driving down a four lane highway, see a basset family strolling or driving in the opposite direction, and turn the car around to jump out and meet the other basset family - most understand, some are weirded out - but they are newer owners and someday will be doing it themselves -  arrange play dates (that the human daughters are sure they didn't have as many and certainly not involving an hour drive or longer), and give Olympic-like scoring for the height and viscosity of flung slobber. I love our basset family and their basset humans. Thank you to them. Diane, Washington State