[Dailydrool] Dry Skin

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 04:26:04 PDT 2013

The first thing I would do if I had a dog with dry skin is check the fat
content on the food he is eating.  Anytime the fat is less than 10% you
will be fighting dry skin.  If your dog has other skin issues like
allergies, I would make sure the food has at least 12% fat.  I have to add
salmon oil on top of the 12% fat to keep my severe allergy dogs' skin in
good shape.  I found that, yes, I did have to cut back their food about 1/4
cup a day.  I make up for it in veggies and fruit so they don't think they
are starving.

The next thing you need to look at is what kind of shampoo you are using.
 Baby shampoo or any other human shampoo is a big no no.  Our skin and dog
skin is not the same pH and our stuff will dry out their skin.  You want to
use a high quality shampoo that is moisturizing.  If the dog has dandruff
you will need to use a dandruff shampoo that does not strip the skin.  I
personally use sebulux for the first wash and Tropiclean moisturizing
shampoo for the second round.  There are conditioners available, but I
don't seem to need them.  My dogs really don't have flakes, but I have
allergies and the dandruff shampoo really helps cut down on the allergens.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess