[Dailydrool] Stings

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 17:04:28 PDT 2013

How timely! This morning Crackers came in and began running around the
house and rubbing his face on everything. I finally cornered him and his face
was horribly swollen. I threw a couple of benadryl down his throat,grabbed
my  shoes and called the vet to say I was coming. By the time I got there his
 ears were so full of welts they looked like bubble wrap. The vet gave him
an  injection of steroids to stop the itching and he spent the day there
under  observation. He is now zonked out on the couch.
I have to second Bev on always having benadryl handy. Vet said it slows the
 allergic reaction and buys time if it is serious. The quicker you get it
in the  better and it comes in a liquid form if you have trouble pilling your
dog. You  can squirt it in. Vet said initial dose should be 50 mg for a
basset sized  dog.
So please put a bottle of the stuff where it is handy and you can use the
generic which is cheaper. It may save your dog or you one day.
Kathy with Crackers back to normal, Loki , Jordan and Drummer the
houseguest again