[Dailydrool] This & That

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:24:52 PDT 2013

Trying to keep an active hound quiet is a challenge, to say the least. One
of our foster hounds, Mandy, was treated for heartworms and was supposed to
be crated and not let her heart rate get too high. Well, she got so
agitated from not being able to be with the rest of the crowd that her
heart rate was much higher than when I let her loose. We ended up just
keeping her with us 24/7 and crated her when we weren't home. Otherwise
we let her be with her pack. They would alligator mouth and quietly play
and we would shut it down if things started getting too carried away. All I
can say is good luck. I would probably let your hound loose as long as you
can be right with her and make sure she stays on the floor and absolutely
doesn't jump up or especially down off the furniture. It's going to be a
long two weeks.

We're having the house painted so things have been in an absolute uproar
here. The guys have been really good about closing the gate before they go
home but I've been letting the Houndettes out front one by one during the
day while the guys are coming and going and the gate is open. I have been
very pleasantly surprised.....I haven't been putting leashes on the
Houndettes and they've been responding very well to voice commands! No one
has tried to run out of the yard and they've actually been very good about
staying right with me! Now, I've only done this with one at a time. Even
though I'm old I can probably chase one of them down if I have to. Just not
two, three or four all at the same time! Of course, when they're all
together, they feed off from each other's energy so I'm definitely not
risking having more than one loose at a time. I've just been very surprised
at how well they've behaved. Now if I can only get them to stop barking
every time a ladder gets moved or someone pounds a nail in!

I've been going through our pictures of the hounds for the past few days
and it has been like walking down memory lane. I had forgotten just how
many foster hounds have come to us over the past ten years. I have loved
each and every one of them and would have kept them all if we had the space
but the one that still hurts my heart that we let go is our Tybee who was
with us for such a long time. The DH and I have an agreement that, since we
only have four hands in this house, we can only have four permanent
residents. Tybee would have made five and, for us and where we live, that
really is one too many. He's with a lovely family who loves him dearly but
I do especially miss him.

We have never had anyone here on Adequan but I think our pets are kind of
like people. The studies are for the majority of how people react but
everyone is an individual and we all react differently to any chemical we
ingest. I hope Llewis is feeling better as he gets the Adequan out of his
system and that you're able to find something comparable that won't bother
him so much.

I have found that I can vote in the current Shelter Challenge from one
computer but not the other. I don't know what the problem is with my lap
top but I cannot vote from that one.

Hope everyone's summer is going well. The Houndettes are sending heart
healing and get well drool to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger

 Suzy & Ginger