[Dailydrool] Pebbles

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 16:02:17 PDT 2013

The hardest part of our late Jane Basset's recovery from ruptured disk surgery was when she felt good enough to be active again but wasn't supposed to do much because the scar tissue around the surgery site wasn't strong enough to take knocks and bumps.

At the time, I wasn't aware of any treat-dispensing toys, or I would have bought some for her. Nina Ottoson has some really good ones for different levels of difficulty: http://www.nina-ottosson.com. They go way beyond Kongs and Buster Cubes in terms of stimulating a dog's mind because they're puzzles that have to be solved in order to get a food reward. I've discovered our Elsinore and young Charlie will be just about as worn out from having to think hard for a while as they will from a walk. I'd start with a toy that's at the intermediate level. The beginner-level toy I bought Elsinore, she figured it out in about ten minutes. Bassets--they only *look* stupid.

What I wound up doing with Jane was creating scavenger hunts for her. I'd put her in her crate in the bedroom while I hid low-calorie treats (carrots, one or two pieces of kibble, etc.) in the living room. Then I'd let her out to search for them. That could keep her busy for about half an hour or so. It wasn't terribly long, but I was happy for every half hour of peace I could get! (She spent her whole life under the misconception that I was the designated activities director.) Hunting around the living room for hidden food didn't put a physical strain on her, and I didn't hide anything at a level she'd have to stand on her hind feet or jump to reach.

Do keep an eye on Pebbles, though. If she shows signs of distress--shivering; refusing to move out of one position; wobbly legs; loss of feeling in legs, feet, and/or tail; loss of bladder and/or bowel control--get her to the vet or ER as quickly as possible because she may have blown a disk. A ruptured disk is considered a medical emergency.

Healing drool on its way for Pebbles.

Elizabeth