[Dailydrool] Sad day at the house: Abbie Mae to the bridge

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 18:54:09 PDT 2013

Mom called last Friday evening to let me know that their
notafosteranylonger 'buppy' (who was 12 yrs old), went to the Rainbow
Bridge. It was quite a shock, as they didn't even expect to be taking her
to the vet, so doing that & having her put down was a bit much to process!
Abbie is the 'fur real buppy' of their other notafosteranylonger hound,
Sadie Mae (who's 15!), and had Cushing's Disease. They fought with the
Cushing's for nearly 2 years, and Abbie was doing pretty well when I was
home last month; it took her a bit to get up, and her hind end definitely
was having issues, but she was eating with gusto! (In fact, I nearly lost a
finger a few times giving her biscuits!) But, apparently she was slowing
down a bit for a few days, and Friday just kept vomiting & was having
difficulties standing up, etc. Mom & dad took her to the vet thinking maybe
some blood work & anti-nausea meds would help, but the vet said she had
some mouth sores (she'd developed some odd bumps that would occasionally
break open), and said that was a sign that poor Abbers was increadibly
immuno-suppressed & that even if they did all of that, my parents would
probably be back in 2 days max, and Abbers would be worse... So, they made
the heart breaking decision to send Abbie to the bridge. It was just time;
she gave the Cushing's a good fight, but was just way too tired to keep
fighting! Thankfully, Sadie, her momma hound, was at the vets as well (for
a UTI) and was present when her buppy made her final journey. Dad said
Sadie actually put her head between him & the chair, facing the wall just
as the vet said she was administering the shot! Seems she knew what was
going on! But, it was probably best for her, so she was able to tell what
was happening, instead of Abbie just 'disappearing' on her! Mom said that
Sadie seems to be gravitating towards her a lot more now, but they think
she's grieving & healing pretty well. They did put Abbie's collar out for
the others to sniff; only a few did, but mom said they seemed to kind of
know that she was gone & wasn't coming back...

Speaking of coming back, mom said that they think they've had 2 instances
of 'Abbie sightings' since she passed! That night, one of the smoke
detectors went off twice in a row, like 'beep, beep,' like the battery
needed changing, but then it never happened again. Abbie, a.k.a. Abbie
Gabby van Basset (after 'Dear Abby,' as she was a HUGE talker) ALWAYS
barked in twos! Like 'woof woof,' no clue why, it was just part of her
innate 'Abbie-ness'! So, it seemed weird that that happened. Also,
mysteriously the internet went down, and when dad went to investigate, he
noticed that somehow the connection to it was unplugged! Now, this was
unusual as it required a ladder to get to it! We're now questioning if she
really *did* get wings when she arrived at the bridge! No reason why that
would have happened! Our babies still send us messages, even when they
aren't actually with us!

So, please hug your houdies tight tonight! Especially those seniors! They
really are some of the coolest & easiest ones to care for! Abbie was a cool
hound; and HUGE! She was much bigger than her momma dog, Sadie, we never
saw her as a buppy, but she must've been one big MOOSE of a buppy!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey & Emma, with Slater (ATB), Aunty to Checkers, Domino
& Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473