[Dailydrool] When dogs go to the Bridge & Jade

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Jun 18 07:14:26 PDT 2013

A number of people have written about their dogs' reaction to a dog that gets cancer and has to be let go to the Bridge.

When we lost our Alexis to lung cancer, she was diagnosed three weeks before we had to make that terrible Bridge decision. So we brought her home and babied her as much as possible. In that time, I wonder if the dogs could smell the cancer.

As we went out the door for our last vet visit with her (it still hurts to think of this, though it happened many years ago), Jane started howling a very eerie howl. I swear she knew what was going on. No one looked for her after we lost Lex. They just seemed to know.

Maybe my hounds were just a hard-hearted bunch, but they never seemed to search for each other. When we lost Belvedere to terrible arthritis, I expected Jane to mourn him deeply. They were best friends. I think she lost some of her vim after he went, and she died less than a year later. But she never visibly mourned. I don't doubt that she missed him, though. Since he had gone down in the back, perhaps she just knew.

I deeply feel for Jade's passing. It sounds to me as if she developed bloat. Bloat is a terrible thing. Your dog is fine, then suddenly isn't fine at all. We lost our Abner to it, and in two hours or less he was gone. It leaves a terrible hole in your heart--much worse than having a slow expectation that allows you get used to the idea--though neither way seems good.

Drool is going forth to all who have lost their babies recently. Losing a hound leaves a huge space in your heart and home. Our prayers and thoughts go with you.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets