[Dailydrool] question about scammers

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 21 11:54:06 PDT 2013

I have a question about scammers (As I mentioned, I just got hacked and am not in the Phillipines; don't send money!) I am changing all my passwords.

does anything ever happen to these folks? do they ever get caught? Is it illegal if no one falls for the scam?

I'm partly asking because of a recent 'basset hound' scam .here in Hawaii. In that one someone advertised on Craigslist that they had two four month old Basset puppies to rehome. this was suspicious right away since Basset puppies are very rare here and there are no breeders in the islands (and quarantine rabies titer requirements make importation of puppies this age impossible from the mainland USA; though it is possible to bring them from New Zealand or Australia at a very hefty price). Interested parties were sent to an email of someone who sent rather professional looking pictures of two puppies and a backstory that the owner had a new job and not enough time to train them and was giving them away for free--just send your personal information (name, address, phone, email). I replied to the ad saying I would like to see the puppies in person and meet her. (Sent no personal info). Oh no, came the reply--I've just moved to the Big Island for my new job, but I will send the puppies to your nearest airport for a crate and shipping fee of $300. (The ad was posted from Oahu, allegedly). what a coincidence, I write, I am on the Big Island and will drive to your doorstep to see the puppies--this would take five minutes of your time and save you crate and shipping expenses and the hassle of airport paper work, health clearances, and so forth. Oh no, comes the reply, I am too busy to meet in person but I do have time to crate and air ship the puppies only. I could meet you at the airport, says I. No response. I of course reported her to Craigslist, and also googled the name of the person, discovered a longtime address in Hilo. Reported all this to Craigslist and posted that the ad was a scam on Craigslist.  I also wrote to all the people on my basset alert list. But this sort of thing happens all the time and a lot of people get taken.

Is there anything that can be done about these scammers is my question.