[Dailydrool] Thunder, fireworks

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 19:26:29 PDT 2013

We had a huge thunder storm last night that lasted for hours. My big bad
Ginger (who will attack a mastiff over a piece of kibble) was absolutely
terrified. To the point of refusing to go outside at bed time even though
she hadn't been outside since dinner time. The DH is in a band and had a
show last night so he let her out at about 2 in the morning but that is a
very long time for her to wait. Tonight someone is sending off fireworks
and poor Ginger started out under my legs and ended up on the couch behind
me. It has quieted down so she's down under my legs again but this is going
to be an awful 4th of July for her. I think we're going to have to invest
in some Rescue Remedy before Thursday. That's the stuff some of you have
used with good results, isn't it? Would Benadryl do the same thing? I have
always sympathized with you folks who have hounds who panic at loud noises
and have always been very happy that none of the Houndettes have that
problem. Well, after watching this poor girl panic over the past couple of
days, I now know exactly what you're talking about. It's terrible to watch
a beloved pet be so frightened! I'm actually thinking about investing in a
Thundershirt for her!

Jersey is our other problem Houndette right now. She has been acting "off"
for a couple of weeks. Nothing I could pin down enough to take her to
the vets....just "off". Well, overnight from Thursday night to Friday
morning, she developed a huge hot spot on the back of her hip. I gave her a
good once over Thursday and found a small open area on her chest that I
knew I had to watch. I thought she was having an anal gland problem at
first on Friday but was horrified when I looked and found this huge hot
spot on her hip and a couple of other spots on her belly and chest. So off
to the vet we went again and found she has a staph infection now. UGH! So
she got a shot of steroids to calm down the skin inflammation and she is on
antibiotics again for a couple of weeks. Plus she's suffering from the
embarrassment of having several areas shaved. I've reassured her that the
fur will return but she doesn't seem to be very happy about it. The good
news is that her ears are completely cleared up now so we're very happy
about that.

I would welcome any and all suggestions to help my Ginger out with her fear
of thunder and fireworks. She has been afraid in the past but nothing like
what we've experienced over the past couple of days.

The Houndettes are sending get well and heart healing drool to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger